Pages

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Eating Braces-friendly—What to Eat with Braces


Before I got braces, I was inundated with the overwhelming amount of sources telling me what I could and couldn't eat when I finally did get them on. Let me tell you, I wasn't looking forward to bans on certain foods.

No crunchy things, chewy things, sticky things, hard things, nutty-crunchy-yummy-crispy things. Oh no, goodness no! That was pretty much everything apart from yogurt, soup and scrambled eggs—which, there's nothing wrong with, but what ever else would I eat?


As I sit here composing this, all the while crunch-munching into an apple—having eaten popcorn earlier today, as well as celery, amongst a myriad of other things before, like lollies, nuts, Doritos and crunchy, sourdough bread—restrictive eating has not been on my agenda! It may be because I'm special. It may be because food is in love with me. Or, that I am in love with food. Whatever the case, whatever the food, I've been able to eat it.

I will pull myself up on this one here though. When I get new wires, for the next few days to almost a week, my teeth do become sore, but not unbearably so, or for a prolonged amount of time. This does make it uncomfortable to eat certain foods as the teeth are tender and don't take much give.

Also, there will always be a self-sabotage, protecting mechanism built-in from the moment you get braces, which you will unconsciously become less aware of, which won't let you crunch with no abandon. I'm sorry, but once those things are attached to your teeth and have invaded eating space, your mouth and teeth won't let you ferociously plunge your teeth into something. They know they have something on them.

Unless you're an idiot and have no self-respect or understanding that you when force your teeth into something, something hard or difficult, that you won't do any damage. It doesn't work like that. You know you're wearing braces, and you'll self-regulate like that. But the good thing about it is you won't notice. Or, over time, you'll learn not to notice. Unless of course you've just gotten an adjustment, and it really will hurt you to bite.

I have gotten one new archwire set over the course of over 5 months of treatment now. No biggie. I wish I had new wires so my teeth could move more. In this case, I haven't had much experience with restrictive eating due to sore teeth from new wires, in that respect, because I haven't had any new wires to make my teeth sore in the first place.

What's the go here? I do think I'm a little bit special.


One word of warning thing though, I wouldn't go nuts on unpopped popcorn. Not saying it can't be done, but those babies are hard with a capital 'H'.

You should know what feels right and how much tension your teeth can take. Jaws of steel I have, I think! 


Either way, I love my new bite marks and chewing style. I now use my incisors to completely clasp onto crunchy foods like apples and celery, and it's an amazing, rounded feeling. Since the upper teeth are in front of the lowers, it's a completely new way of eating, and chewing. It just feels so right!

I can't wait to bite into an apple sans-braces. That will be the day!

In all, use your own judgement and don't feel you're missing out on anything, because I haven't in the slightest. It's all about adapting to the feel of your teeth, plus those teeth training-wheels, so it will take a bit of getting used to settling in.

Nuts to all the haters!

Although, avoid sugar. It's bad for you, and say no to cavities!

So, what's on the menu next? An apple a day keeps the dentist away, right?

4 comments:

  1. You have to limit yourself to soft food that are healthy and delicious at the same time. A suggestion for your breakfast can be mashed eggs, bread and butter, jam, or fruit sauce and milk. Then for lunch, you can have chopped ramen noodles, tuna fish, and chicken or meat salad. Stay away from dishes that have nuts. Lastly for dinner, you can have meat and chicken pieces that are chopped into tiny pieces, and you can also eat pasta. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cody. Thank you for your reply!

      I didn't have any real issues with eating certain foods with braces, that I had to restrict my eating with. It's certainly a sound list for people having trouble.

      My only concerns were toffee apples, carrots, nuts, crackers and crusty, doughy breads. Not to say I didn't eat these, I just had to be a little more careful than usual.

      I really don't see the deal with restricting what you eat. You'll end up eating what you want and what you're comfortable with.

      So, if that means soup and yoghurt and ice cream for the first few weeks after getting braces, or new wires, so be it. Eat what you like, try to be healthy (which is always good), but don't feel you can't eat your favourite foods or are restricted.

      Delete
  2. Super-Duper site! I am Loving it!! Will come back again, Im taking your feed also, Thanks.
    Why are Ceramic Braces Expensive?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete