Pages

Friday, November 11, 2011

Retainers—Life After Braces Come Off


Braces are off. Everything is hunky-dory.


Hold the phone.

Wrong.

Very wrong.

Brief and intimately seducing was the smooth and straight feeling and look of a braces-free smile. My upper braces were taken off, I had them removed. The whole thing was dead to me.

Dead wrong.

It's as if you're partying, and then the alcohol runs out. And even Jesus can't turn your water (newly straight teeth) into wine (forever straight teeth). You weren't even born that way...

Really, it's just the beginning of the next stage to a straight smile. The most important stage. Retention.

Shudder.

You've come this far, to sabotage and lose everything you gained would be mad and idiotic. So I tell myself. And I know this is true... on so many levels. The reality of it is yucky.

To keep this update brief, I went into my orthodontist yesterday to pick up my Essix retainer. I'm to wear this full-time for 3-4 months.

Excuse my language, but simply, fuck the world.



It looks pretty cool. It looks like very straight teeth. My very straight teeth. And that's not anything to be snickered at.

Damn, I could really go a Snickers... but I digress.




They don't look that bad on. Which wasn't ever my concern. Sort of.

I knew they wouldn't look that bad. They're clear, after all.

The lisping though, I really do hate. Not more than braces though, so I'll get over it, and used to it, hopefully. And soon, hopefully, too.

I do speak with a slight lisp. It's nowhere near as bad as the plate expander I had to wear in my initial treatment phases, though, that I am grateful for. I know I'll get used to it within a few weeks, just have to practice. A long phone call with my best friend is in order tonight...

I'm also noticing now, just after a day or two of wear, that my lower braces are wearing the plastic away a little, as there are rough bits on the retainer when I run my tongue across it in some places. Slightly disappointed about this, as it will annoy me, looking forward.

I also flagged a slight issue with my orthodontist because my molar teeth had a bit of the, what I refer to as dental cement, still attached, and he happily scratched it away. It's full of fluoride, too, so it's good for your teeth regardless. Gee, thanks, yeah I want rough cement on my teeth for the minuscule flouride benefits? Cool, I'll keep that in mind next time I'm an idiot...

He also said that I was brushing well because the puffiness in the gums surrounding my molar teeth had reduced since I got the impressions made, and that it's left some space in the back of the retainer around my gums. Which didn't seem an issue, let me add.

Fucking hopeless though, I don't think I'll be able to chew gum. Haven't attempted yet. I don't think I'd enjoy it, so I'm in no rush to try.

Also, and this is a very big also, it is the biggest update in my braces lifetime span, so get ready: I have a final debanding date!

This news, and more news: it's coming up sooner than expected.

And, she's over the moon!

22 November

This will be my day.

I'm getting my lower bands off about a month earlier, as they were scheduled to come off on 20 December. Some precious human being cancelled their debanding appointment. Some divine being asked me to check my next appointment dates at reception. Myself decided to ask if there definitely weren't any earlier debanding appointments. Some wonderful receptionist found a space. And my sometimes lovely orthodontist obliged to it, and took my lower impressions for my bonded retainer that same day. Life is good sometimes.

I'm really happy about this. Really happy. I'm just plain happy that they're coming off and I'll be done with braces for good.

Thank you braces—biggest love-hate relationship to-datebut you suck.

Love you.


20 comments:

  1. Hi! Thanks for keeping this blog, it's been really interesting and helpful to read as I prepare to hopefully get braces myself. I'm 25 and have an overbite, so my situation is different, but I hope I can take the plunge and end up with teeth as nice as yours! :)

    Please keep updating - it's great to see your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, and thank you for your comment, sincerely! It's wonderful to know I am actually reaching someone and helping others.

    The teeth situations, they will be far and few the same. But in the end, the results really speak for themselves, and I hope my case can illustrate that.

    Now that I'm on the flip side, my time has really flown, and what time doesn't fly? At the time it can feel overwhelming and persistently endless, but once they're off, they're off and you have a perfect bite and straight teeth.

    Either way, the best advice I can give is know what you're getting yourself into, it is a journey, but commit to it, and you'll reap the rewards. It's a sacrifice, but don't look back and kick yourself in regret at what you could have done at 25 which will pretty much set you up for a lifetime of smiles.

    Good luck in your journey. It's an exciting and at times very frustrating one, but overall, one of the most worthwhile things you will do for yourself. Think of it as a patience-building exercise for eternity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, it's the same anon again - thanks so much for replying to my comment and for the advice. All the best to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for sharing an idea really it was anice post.............
    teeth braces

    ReplyDelete
  5. The end is in sight! :D. I'm so happy for you, your smile looks great and I bet your anxious for it all to be over. Those retainers do not look like fun... I am not looking forward to those. Well worth it though, right? :) Thanks again for sharing your blog and updating... it's a joy to read and see all the progress you've made. Best of luck with the rest of your journey. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am ashamed (or overjoyed, really) that the end is in sight, and has been over a week ago?

    I have been meaning to update, but I am so busy and lazy that I haven't found the time...

    Thank you so much for your comment though, it means a lot. Thank you for the compliments, too!

    The retainer is growing on me. It's quite bearable. Nothing on braces, let me tell you! I just wish I didn't have to wear it full time.

    Every moment is well worth it, in the end!

    I promise I will update very soon, sans-braces life. Let me say, it's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your smile looks perfect! :p Invisible braces look better since it would just be like you naturally have perfect teeth. Do you still have your braces on? The end is in sight, and I bet you can't wait to wear that pearly straight smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Say Braces, do you happen to have a photo of your slight underbite before braces? I am thinking of getting braces myself instead of jaw surgery!
    Btw Thanks for your posts! they're really helpful

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh wait i see them! wow awesome after photos for using only braces!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The result is beautiful, and so is your smile! I can suggest this clear retainer to my cousin since this is a good change after metal braces!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post! Been reading a lot about different parts of getting braces. Thanks for the info here!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great article! I finally got my braces taken off yesterday, it feels so amazing! I have to deal with this retainer for now, but it's miles better than that mound of metal on my teeth. Keep up the good work here!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations.
    braces

    ReplyDelete
  14. Invisalign are cool to align teeth without letting everyone notice you wearing braces. Great invention in terms of use and price affordable.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I got your ideas it is really interesting, but i got certain difficulty like Brushing it is very hard for me when i was wearing braces.

    Tooth Braces In Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice share! Worth sharing with my friend looking for orthodontist for braces. Have seen various Torrance dentist and took an appointment from one of them for teeth whitening treatment. Got amazing tips and teeth cleaning session was superb. Even their fee was nominal than others.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for such a thorough post, putting on retainers are pretty lovely on ladies and they look very popular with them on.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am really impressed with your blog article, such great & useful knowledge you mentioned here. Your post is very informative. I have read all your posts and all are very informative. Thanks for sharing and keep it up like this.
    best dentist for invisible braces in nashik

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looking for a Brampton dentist that offers affordable and quality dental care and services? Call Brampton Smiles Dental Centre to book your appointment! Best Dentist Brampton, ON

    ReplyDelete